This is one of the autoimmune forms of scarring alopecia especially observed among post-menopausal females where hairline recedes from front and around ears. Fibrosis means hair follicles, sweat glands and oil glands get destroyed rapidly. This type of hair loss can be mistaken for female pattern thinning however microscopic analysis would show destruction of hair follicles very clearly.
Clinical Features –
- Zig-zag pattern around hairline, front and back of the scalp
- Sunburns are very clear on the affected areas
- Negative hair pull test
- Redness and scaling around infected hair follicles
- Eyebrow thinning
- Severe pain a]nd itch around scalp surface
- In men, loss of beard hair is very common
- Face rash, red spots around hair
If you ever observed any of the above signs please seek immediate help to follow the correct line of treatment without any further delay.